Marshall finally pushed his own limit and sent us to the ER. It was actually a pretty innocent fall and could have been much worse like when I've found him in places like on top of his changing table and the kitchen table.
Friday afternoon he was simply sitting in his booster seat in a kitchen table chair eating a snack with me right behind him when he lost his balance and toppled over head first onto the tile floor. I was on the phone with my mother, the very last person I would want to hang up on after she had already heard his cry and me say "Oh God, Marshall has fallen!" No, I didn't have him fastened in. I never do. Our chairs don't allow the booster seat to be attached extremely tight, so when I strap him in he manages to stand up with the booster more attached to him than the chair and I fear the chair toppling onto him. I couldn't believe how big and how fast it came up. Luckily, Travis had taken off the afternoon to get ready for Marshall's party the next day, so he was home and could take care of Jack. I rushed him to Methodist Germantown ER and he was seen almost immediately. The nurse practitioner thought he was fine upon examination, but when the doctor arrived and saw the size of the hematoma he wanted a cat scan. I felt relief and terror all at once. Relief that we would know that he was fine on the inside and out from the fall, but terror that he might not be. Watching my baby be strapped down to a table screaming in terror for me was too much. I did everything I could to console him and while it probably only lasted a few minutes, it seemed like an eternity! Now I know a lot about cat scans
Apparently Marshall got tired of waiting too because once he got bored with the toys and my wallet, he put on my diaper bag, grabbed his loot and went to the door saying "Bye, Mommy! Sissy's house!" I guess he decided it's safer there!
Luckily, McDreamy the doctor sent in a nurse to let us know that the scans came out clear and we were discharged. Every time I close my eyes I see him falling in slow motion and the first glimpse of that goose egg haunts me as well. Just yesterday I found him standing on top of his rocking horse balancing trying to reach toys on the shelf above. This one is going to keep us on our toes, but I'm so very thankful that this episode has only left a big bruise on his forehead and nightmares for Mommy that hopefully we'll both get over soon.




1 comment:
Alex pushed Josh out of a chair at Nanny's house and one of those huge sized goose eggs popped out. Kellye and I freaked out. No trip to hospital but we watched him like a hawk...1 week later, the whole family was in that terrible accident. I don't think that (almost) head injury was ever thought of again...
Post a Comment