Saturday, February 25, 2012

February

The year has been pretty uneventful thus far, which isn't a bad thing considering how hectic 2011 ended.  If we aren't at school, this is how you can usually find us lounging in our p.j.'s.  The boys have even started wearing them on Wednesdays to Alesia's. 

This is another favorite around the house look that occurs even on school days...naked.  If they go to the bathroom, you can dang near bet they will shed a piece of clothing and good luck getting it back on them.  I'm pretty sure this is my payback because growing up my dad constantly stayed on my sister and me for running around the house in our underwear.  Now I know how he feels since I am just as outnumbered by the opposite sex as he was. 


You know you're a mom to boys when you find yourself wearing something like this.
You truly understand just how fast your kids are growing when you pick them up from the sitter's and they look like this.  Alesia had to use Marshall's extra set of pants one day at school, but apparently, he had outgrown them since I put them in his backpack back in the fall.  This mama is always prepared and actually had 2 pairs of spare pants in the backpack, both of which look just like this on him.
The Jostes girls came over for a play date one night.  That was the night I realized that 4 kids are much easier to handle than 2.  I probably should have paid the girls for their duties because Kate kept the whole gang in line and Mommy and Daddy actually got a break while they were there.
I'm definitely comfortable in my role as a mom of all-boy boys.  Most days when we leave the house they are in sweat pants and long sleeve t-shirts.  Jeans are dressing up for us.  On occasion I'll decide the boys need to get some wear out of their button-down shirts.  Jack has started dressing himself in the mornings.  I can't tell you just how much this has improved our morning routine.  On this particular morning, I laid out a button-down shirt and he walked into the bathroom where I was getting ready and said "Why do I have to look so handsome today?"
Marshall gathered up some things one Friday afternoon at home including his "puter" and steering wheel toy, came and kissed me and said "Bye, Mommy!  Going to work with Daddy!"
Marshall also got a haircut in February.  Compare the look above to the one below.  His last cut was Thanksgiving weekend.  I tried to take him right after New Years, but for the first time ever he threw a major fit in the chair and I didn't have the heart to make the girl cut it with him screaming.  This time Travis came along, didn't give him a choice of walking away and he sat through it.
A big decision each night is bath or shower.  We still bath the boys together, so it also often involves an argument between them.  This night I'm sure I gave in and let Marshall take his shower and Jack "lax" (relax) in the bath.  You can imagine not much relaxing takes place in the bath with a 2 year old. 
The last bit I want to add is just a snapshot in my mind of where the kids are at this point in time.  I'd love to think that the memories we're making will always stay so vivid in my mind, but after just 4 1/2 years into this parenting gig I know that's not the case.


Jack at 4 years and 8 months:
  • You remind me so much of your daddy with your curiosity.  I am the type of person that just accepts things as they are, but you and Daddy are not.  The dinosaur exhibit is coming to the zoo and you actually asked how we know so much about dinosaurs if they were dead before people were alive.  That seems like pretty deep thinking for someone at your age.
  • You remind me of me because you already take so much responsibility for the people and things around you.  You give instructions to Alesia and others that take care of you and Marshall, which makes me realize just how much attention you pay to even the small details of what goes on at home.
  • You love to learn.  Every night at bedtime you and Daddy practice addition, spelling and sounding out words, learning the placement of the states and fun facts about them and sometimes I just catch you two playing apps on the iPod Touch and iPhone.
  • You are starting to ask questions about death and you are very matter-of-fact about it rather than emotional.  My favorite story lately is the night that you prayed that God would give MiMi another baby after Boyd and make this one a girl that we would name Baby Sissy, so if our old Sissy dies we'll still have a Sissy.
  • You are starting to favor your daddy over Mommy, which is okay.  If given the choice, you choose to stay home with him and have "buddy time" over going anywhere with me.  You even went so far lately as to say you loved Daddy better.  Oh well, you can't win them all!

Marshall at 2 years and 3 months:
  • In the past week you have given up diapers/pull-ups completely and given up the pacifier, although I don't think you've realized the latter just yet.  You insist on sleeping in underwear and you wake up dry so often that we've just gone with it.  You were only taking your paci at home in your bed.  I took it out of your bed yesterday before nap time and you still haven't asked for it.  I can't believe we're going to get past the potty training and pacifier withdrawals so easily.  The only remnants of a baby at our house is the crib.
  • You are a talker.  Why I find this so hard to believe I don't know considering my own genes, but my goodness, I'm starting to believe there will never be a silent moment in our house.  Just recently you have stopped referring to yourself as "Marfall" and started saying "I" or "me" instead.  You speak in full sentences and here recently, your favorites are "I need ________." or "I don't like that." or "I know that."  The biggest obstacle in taking away your paci has been that it was the only thing that shut you up long enough to fall asleep.  Now you talk for nearly an hour before finally going to sleep and you wake up with your mouth already in motion.  I wouldn't have it any other way!
  • You challenge authority.  We have to take action for you to stop doing anything.  Just getting onto you doesn't work.  You've become pretty familiar with time out at school.
  • You are a mama's boy.  If Daddy puts on your pajamas, you take them off.  It completely ticks you off that you can't take off lotion when he puts it on.
  • You give the best hugs and kisses.

1 comment:

courtney said...

The boys are such a hoot to read about. The nakedness, the sweet haircut and the play date. What sweet memories. Miss y'all so much!