Friday, August 12, 2011

Summer Zoo Trip

Jack has been begging to go to the zoo all summer. We have already been 3 times this year, but we haven't been since Memorial Day, which is when the Birds and Bees exhibit opened and that's what he's been wanting to see. The exhibit actually closes Labor Day, so I thought we better go ahead and go today while the high was only 93. That tells you what kind of summer we've had when 93 sounds mild. For the first time, I brought the kids to the rides section of the zoo. They never even realized they were there before and I'm sure this will become a regular part of the zoo trip now. They rode the boats.

The rockets and the train. No pictures from the train since I was with them.





Jack asked me to take this picture of the prairie dogs.

Not a great picture of Jack, but I couldn't resist posting a picture of him holding onto Marshall.



This little guy sat by the glass the entire time we were by his exhibit.

Monkey see, monkey do.



The grizzlies have become my favorite animal. They are almost always putting on a show right in front of the glass.



I even gave in and let Jack play in the water. Marshall was so exhausted by this point that he hardly got out of the stroller. That is when he finally got in the stroller. Marshall walked every step of the zoo that Jack walked. Thank goodness because pushing 80 pounds of kids in a double stroller meant for much less than that gets pretty tiring for Mommy.





He's considering going in, but right at the moment he stepped out the water stopped. Lucky Mommy.



New additions to the zoo.



One of the main reasons we came was one of the last places we went...the birds and the bees.

The birds were full from a long day of being fed, but we were lucky enough to catch this one for a few moments. Thank goodness because I don't think Jack would have left otherwise.

Marshall was completely over the zoo at this point. He did manage a "Hi bird!"

So the plan was to get there early, eat a picnic lunch and be home by nap time. Ha! The plan was also to go at the kids' pace and see everything they wanted to see, do everything they wanted to do for as long as they wanted to see and do it. We left 5 hours after arriving, hot and sweaty messes. Marshall napped on the car ride home, but refused to continue it at home. Jack never even yawned, much less napped and we had a Pump-It-Up party tonight. I'm praying for a late wake-up call in the morning!

1 comment:

Selena said...

We took the boys to the zoo in St Louis on Saturday... How did you do that by yourself?! It looks like they had fun, too...