Monday, July 23, 2012

Jack Turns 5

We gave Jack a big basketball goal for his birthday.  Travis was convinced it would be no problem to put together and that there would only be a few big pieces.  Ha!  We were up until 2 am putting the millions of tiny pieces together.  Well, he was putting it together.  I was actually reading the directions and providing moral support. He would probably describe what I was doing in another way, but hey, I'm the blogger in the family!
Last year's birthday was pretty chaotic trying to do everything, so this year we just planned a day at home and a night at the movies.  We let him open his gifts first thing.
Marshall thought they were his gifts too.
I finally had to wrap up a few things around the house for him, so he would leave Jack's stuff alone.  Jack didn't mind.



I fixed a big breakfast and we all sat at the table and ate together, which is rare at our house in the mornings.  Jack had 5 candles in his pancakes and he insisted that Marshall have 2 in his, so he didn't have to hear him whine or fight him over blowing out his candles.  Those were Jack's words summed up.

We took him outside to receive his big surprise gift and he was excited.
Then look who came for a visit and look who stayed in his face all day as usual.
It was Emily's first "trip" out of the house with Baby Boyd and they made it pretty well.
It was also the first time both of my boys held him.  They all three wore their cousins shirts for the occasion.




All Jack wanted was Chick Fil A, so we had that for lunch.  MiMi and Jack played basketball.  That was her sport, not mine.  Before she left Jack asked if the next time she visited she would leave Baby Boyd at home, so she could play with him more.

That night we went to see Madagascar 3.  I highly recommend it.  We love all of the Madagascar movies.
Popcorn and sweet treats ended the birthday boy's day.
He was so tired, he slept in his clothes.
Birthdays wear little brothers out too.
At 5 years old, Jack weighs 66 pounds and measures 46 inches tall.  This puts him in the 75th-90th percentile for height and just over the 90th percentile for weight.  He laughed while given his 4 shots for school, but we're learning that's a coping mechanism of Jack's because he does not like to cry if he can help it.  Jack is very excited about Kindergarten and most of my anxiety over it has left as well.  He truly is ready for this next step.  Jack loves everything he does and he is very enthusiastic about learning.  His favorite birthday gifts were Kindergarten workbooks and sight cards.  He really is thoughtful when it comes to his little brother.  After every game and at every birthday party, he asks for an extra snack or treat bag for Marshall.  We are so proud of the big boy that he is becoming and can't believe we've been blessed as his parents for 5 years already.  Time is flying too fast.

1 comment:

courtney said...

what a precious, precious little man. I love how his little brain works. and his thoughtfulness for marshall is just adorable.
I know you know this but I cannot believe it's been five years and time for kindergarten. WTH happened?