In junior high I went to Lakeshore for church camp for a week with my best friend and was completely homesick the entire time. Until last weekend, I thought Jack was just like me in that regard. When I learned that Lakeshore offered an overnight Parent/Child camp, I immediately signed Jack and me up. Luckily a friend and her son went, as well as another mother/son duo from her church and we all 6 got in the same cabin. Below is a shot of our day 1 agenda.
Here's Jack on the lazy river.I joined him until he kicked me off of his tube and told me I could jog beside him. No thanks.
The boys outside our cabin - Jack, Kail and Maddux.
Before the Pirate Ship (pontoon) ride.
Ping pong was a weekend favorite. I was so proud of Jack when he grabbed a paddle, walked up to a table full of kids he didn't know and asked if they needed another player.
A highlight of his first camp experience was sleeping on the top bunk. He has since decided that we need 2 sets of bunk beds at home so both he and Marshall can sleep on top.
Late night card game (UNO) on the top bunk.
Creek stomping
All weekend it was pretty apparent that Jack is a much more independent child than I ever was. It didn't bother him a bit that he only knew 2 kids at the entire camp and he had only just met them 1/2 an hour before camp began. He participated in everything and rarely looked to me for help or guidance, kept a smile on his face and enjoyed every minute of his first camp experience. I was so proud to be his mommy! Below is a video of him voluntarily telling the entire camp what he made out of his clay. He has already declared that next year he wants to go to camp on his own for 3 nights. I already have a bit of anxiety over that and a bit of sadness that I'll have to sit Lakeshore out until Marshall turns 5.
No comments:
Post a Comment