Sunday, July 14, 2013

Summer Vacation 2013 Days 7 and 8 - Our Last Day and the Trip Back Home

Day 7
More rain, but we made the best of it.  We attempted a swim, but the clouds and rain made the water temperature unbearable.  That night we headed for dinner and then back to the piers to try our hands at more luck.  We ended up staying on the beach until almost 11 PM not wanting our vacation to end.

Marshall's favorite souvenir for the week was this weiner dog hot dog cutter.  Don't be fooled, folks, it doesn't work as well as it looks.
Jack singing with the band "Don't Worry About a Thing..." 
 







 


 



 
Day 8
Once again, we were pretty leisurely in getting on the road.  No one was ready for this trip to end!  We slept in, did laundry and cleaned up before driving off at 2.  That would put us home around 10, not bad.  Well, that estimate was made before we hit the road to Mobile, which took 1 1/2 hours over it's normal 1 hour journey and then we missed a turn.  No men = no sweat over travel time lost and we decided Cracker Barrel was just what we needed to endure the remaining time on the road.  The only problem was that neither of us remembered ever seeing a Cracker Barrel on our way to or from the beach, so I turned to Google Maps.  Despite the language barrier, Siri who clearly doesn't understand southern country accents had never failed me before.  Before now that is.  Google Maps turned us a few times until our curiosity overcame our hunger, we followed the directions and got dumped at a junkyard with Siri proudly announcing "You have now arrived at Cracker Barrel Old Time Country Store".  Maybe in 1980.  Clearly there hadn't been a Cracker Barrel in Enterprise, MS in awhile.  With much less enthusiasm, we found I-59 and headed north taking a different route to Meridian.  Judy tried to put a positive spin on reading out all the restaurants on the exit signs - McDonald's, Hardees, Waffle House, but it wasn't until we saw a billboard for Cracker Barrel that we once again gained hope that this journey wouldn't end in vain.  After another missed exit and a turn around, we found ourselves at Cracker Barrel being waited on by someone with only 2 stars on her apron.  Yes, we eat there enough to know what the stars on their aprons mean.  I'm not sure she earned either of them.  The okra was burned, like tasted like it had been battered in an ash tray burned, and the only thing satisfying in the end was the 2 Diet Cokes that kept me awake long after our trip home ended.  But the story doesn't end here.  By this time our ETA had changed to 12-12:30, only bearable by decent music and laughable singing.  I thought I could shave a few minutes off of our time by taking the shortcut I had only driven in daylight before.  For the record, Byhalia Road and Old Byhalia Road are not the same.  I haven't confirmed this with a map, but Byhalia Road dumped us out in Hernando, MS and passing Old Byhalia Road was the only mistake I can reason that I made on that shortcut.  We lost Marshall to sleep for that last 45 minutes of the journey home, but Judy, Jack and I kept ourselves amused with Siri, who Judy had never met, but after this answer to a question I cannot remember, I'm pretty sure Judy will never forget her. 
It was a great week with great memories and even better pictures.  Travis was definitely missed, but Judy hung in there.  As always, we cannot wait to go back!

No comments: