Some people are interested in labor stories. Some are not. If you are not, then skip this post. No gory details included, just a timeline of the crazy day that our second born arrived. Emily was here visiting and we started our day at Target finishing up my Christmas shopping before she left town. Travis was keeping Jack, so I also stopped by a yard sale on my way home and then as Travis puts it, went crazy cleaning on the house. I had been couped up in the house with a sick kid all week long and I was nesting like a mad woman!
At 4:40 while Jack was still napping, I finally sat down and told Travis to check his watch because I was having a contraction. Nothing painful, but still, I knew what it was. 6 minutes later, another one came. We continued this pattern until 5 when I called my mom, who luckily, was shopping only an hour away in Jackson with my sister. I told her to stay put until I figured out if I was really in labor and by 6, she was on her way.
The first truly painful contraction came when we were walking into the hospital. We checked in at 7:43 and by the time I was checked for the first time I was fully effaced, dilated to 7 and in excruciating pain. Relief didn't arrive in the form of an epidural until 8:45, 15 minutes later the doctor broke my water and I started pushing and 15 minutes later at 9:15 pm Marshall arrived. I was only in labor for 4 1/2 hours and I cringe to think what would've happened if my water had broke at home. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get all of the antibiotics for the Group B Strep, so Marshall had to be observed for 48 hours, but all is well.
We're doing great at home. Life with 2 boys is already exhausting, but fortunately, our families have been here to help and we're making it. Jack is a great big brother. He constantly says "I want to touch him." and then proceeds to poke him in the face. The other night, he held his hand during his bath, helped wash his hair and then put lotion on his chest. Life is so sweet right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment