Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mama, Mommy, or Mom?

Over Thanksgiving, Jack started calling me Mommy and Travis Daddy (da-tee, as he pronounces it). I quickly discovered that he picked it up from us because that's what we call each other to him - "Go bring that to Daddy" or "Come see Mommy". You know sometimes you don't really pay attention to what you're saying until it's brought to your attention (if that makes any sense at all). I thought it was the sweetest thing I had ever heard and he continued it for weeks, so I figured that I would be Mommy for awhile...until last Friday. Out of the blue while eating supper, he addressed me as "Mom". I almost choked on my food and told him (jokingly, of course) that I am NOT Mom. I am Mommy or Mama. Isn't Mom what a 12-year old calls his mother after Mommy is no longer "cool"? He smiled and said "Mom". Now this whole little incident truly shows Jack's personality because if he figures out that you don't want him to do something, he's going to do it and laugh at you while he's doing it. I see many timeouts in this child's future. Anyways, he continued calling me "Mom" all the while smiling the rest of the night. We would point to Travis and ask who he was and he would reply "Da-tee" then we would point to me and ask who I was and he would reply "Mom" with this mischievous grin on his face. It kind of went away for the rest of the weekend until just now while I'm typing this blog, he handed me something and said "Mom" to get my attention.

When I later told my mom the story, she said "He heard you calling me that." and I remembered that over last weekend he started calling my mom "Mom" because he heard me call her that. I guess I need to be more careful about what I say around him. If you see me in public in the near future with my mom and Jack and hear me call her "Mommy", now you know why.

These pictures were taken during the day on Friday when we had 60 degrees sunny weather in Memphis! It just made me that much more anxious for spring.

Here's Jack and the dogs back at it with the sticks again.

No comments: