After having Jack two summers ago, I couldn't wait to take the Mommy and Me type swimming lessons with him when he turned one. Well, last summer rolled around and we got him in the pool and discovered that he was already doing everything I remember being taught in those classes. He would float on his back, put his face in the water and blow bubbles, go under, kick while being pulled around, etc. So I decided to save my money for the real deal. Well, this summer rolled around and I still thought he was a bit young for any serious lessons, but after talking to an instructor, who said she does have some two year olds swimming, decided to enroll him anyways. Today was his first of five sessions.
My fear was that it was going to be a waste of everyone's time and our money. Jack will do whatever Travis and I ask of him in the water and there is a pool at his babysitter's, but I just wasn't sure that he would even get in the water for strangers. Boy was I wrong! I did have to walk him to the pool and sit on the steps. I ended up as wet as most of the class. They started out blowing bubbles through straws then went to putting their faces in the water and blowing bubbles. I knew Jack would master this because he does it nightly in the tub and he didn't disappoint. Next the teacher had a two year old little girl taking her second week of classes kick around the pool on the kick board. Jack couldn't wait to follow suit and as soon as she came back toward the steps declared "My turn!", so off he went. They also jumped off the side of the pool and each time the teacher would put him under, bring him back up and let him "swim" back to the steps where I was sitting. Every single time Jack would say "I did it, Mommy!" then "My turn, Mommy?" as he got back in line. A few times he even said "I did it!" to the other parents. I don't know if I've ever seen him smile so much! At the end of class, they do a new trick for a treat and this time she talked him into going under. Jack will do anything for a treat!
After class, I said "Jack, I'm so proud of you! Did you have fun in swimming lessons?" and he replied "Uh huh, I did, Mommy!" and I said "Do you want to come back tomorrow?" and he said "I do. Uh huh. I do." I promise to get pictures on here of the little fish before the week is over, but I had to share my stories from an exciting afternoon for both of us!
No comments:
Post a Comment