Friday, January 1, 2010

Christmas Eve

I wanted to do something fun with Jack on Christmas Eve. I honestly don't feel like I've been able to spend any time with him since Marshall has been born since most of my time is spent changing diapers, nursing, or rushing to get things done in between these two continuous tasks. Jack is really into Play Doh these days, so I knew he would love making Christmas cookies to leave out for Santa. I have tons of Christmas cookie cutters and I bought a sugar cookie mix, some red and green sugar sprinkles and blue, yellow, green and red icing. I've failed to mention that by Christmas Eve, we had all caught a cold. Jack was first earlier in the week, I started feeling bad the night before Christmas Eve, and poor Marshall woke up Christmas morning stuffy. Travis's sinuses stay messed up, so it's hard to tell if he had our cold or just the usual. Anyways, I wasn't feeling so hot, but I refused to let it get me down and I pressed on. Hopefully, Santa's immune system was pretty strong because those cookies were so germy after Jack and I both sneezed on them during the entire process. Jack and I made the cookies before dinner. He really got into the cookie cutters, but these days everything is "Big Boy do it", so he also had to take the cookie dough cut into the shape and place it on the cookie sheet. Somewhere in the transfer, the cookies lost their shape. Oh well, we know what they were supposed to be.

Marshall slept most of the day and woke up just in time for dinner. We were happy to have him join us at the time when he was happy. Unfortunately, he didn't stay happy for long. Jack insisted on Marshall sitting next to him, which I thought was sweet.

After dinner, I took care of Marshall and Travis supervised Jack decorating the cookies. You can tell by the messy face that he most definitely taste-tested the products. In fact, he taste-tested so much that Santa barely got any cookies that didn't already have a bite taken out of them.

Once Jack figured out that the sprinkles were actually sugar, it was all over. At first, it was fun to decorate with them.

Then he got a little curious.

And at last did what any normal 2-year old boy would do.

Now for the finished product.

Santa sent Jack a letter this year requesting corn for the reindeer, so we couldn't leave them out.

No comments: