Sunday, October 16, 2011

Look, Mommy, No Training Wheels!

Travis has been dying to take the training wheels off of Jack's bike.  Jack has not been so eager.  Bless his heart, he doesn't have a brave bone in his body.  He has too much of me and my mom in him.  This afternoon when Travis proposed the idea, he almost immediately started crying.  The kid hates booboos.  In fact, he fell on his bike almost a month ago and got a tiny scratch and wouldn't ride again until it healed.  We tried a couple of times in our driveway with Travis and I on either side holding on, but the driveway isn't that big and without a game plan, we were going in every which direction.  So we headed accross the street to the park, pitching the idea to Jack that he can't get booboos on the grass.  He went for it and I swear this first video is one of his first attempts.


I wanted Jack to want it.  It seems that he would be satisfied on training wheels in junior high if it lowered his chance of getting hurt, so I offered him ice cream if he would do it on the grass.  After that was accomplished, I offered him chocolate syrap with the ice cream if he would attempt it in the driveway.  He did it over and over again and we watched his confidence grow and grow.  I'm so proud.  I don't think we'll be going on any family bike rides without the training wheels anytime soon, but I know the more he practices the more eager he will be and the more proud of himself he will be.

1 comment:

Selena said...

Between soccer pride and no training wheels pride, he is certainly growing up. I know the new milestones are so exciting! And I've decided that a little caution in our boys is not a bad thing. L can be the same way at times, but when they finally get it, their confidence jumps up and down. :) Good memories!