Monday, October 31, 2011

Trick-or-Treat!

We went to Liz and Craig’s house for supper and trick-or-treating.  Their neighborhood is so much more walkable.  Yes, I know that isn’t a word, but I guarantee you know what I mean anyways.  The kids enjoyed playing together and the grown-ups enjoyed visiting.  Liz and I realized tonight that we’re finally reaching the point we’ve been waiting for when we as grown-ups can actually have full conversations while the kids play on their own.  Pretty much since Kate was born almost 6 years ago we’ve had at least one young one needing parent involvement at all times.  It’s a good milestone for our families.
Jack tried out the face paint again and it went over much better tonight.  Travis put it on this time and went with the black paint only.  The pre-trick-or-treating photo session went over really well and pretty fast and we were off!  The Jostes group was ocean-themed with Kate as an octopus, Maddie as a sea turtle and Jack the dog as a hammerhead shark.  I can’t believe I didn’t get a picture of Jack the dog!

Marshall picked up on trick-or-treating pretty quickly and walked right up with the big kids.  His precious “trick treat” melted me along with his “tank too”.  We had to keep reminding the big kids to slow down for the little ones.
I had to take a picture of my favorite pumpkin.  Roll Tide!
About mid-way through the neighborhood, Marshall decided he didn't need the bag.  He wanted to hold all of his candy.
Back at home, Jack was so eager to hand out some of our candy.  We had left our bucket by our pumpkins, but it didn't look touched.
The kids plopped themselves down in the front yard and waited for some trick-or-treaters to come by.  When Jack saw some, he jumped up and down and said "Hey guys!  Come over here!  We have treats over here!"
I don't think his first trick-or-treaters were even dressed up, but he didn't mind.
You can't see behind his head, but Travis and I were amused that this boy was wearing an ADPi t-shirt.  ADPi was a sorority at our college.
Tonight was one of those times when I longed for time to stand still or at least slow down.  Seeing Marshall's sweet innocence as he kept up with the big kids and Jack's excitement when he saw trick-or-treaters coming our way was priceless.  It was a great kickoff to the upcoming holiday season.

1 comment:

courtney said...

all 4 of the kids are adorable.
and i'm glad that you guys enjoyed some adult time, too. i have those times when i hang out with friends and our kids and then i leave and can't remembered what we talked about due to all the children/chaos.
and i love that Alabama pumpking, too!