Thursday, May 17, 2012

Never Grow Up

Today is a huge milestone in not only Jack's life, but our life as a family.  Jack graduates from St. Paul United Methodist Preschool.  He is so ready for Kindergarten and for this I am thankful.  But am I ready?  I will never forget the feeling St. Paul gave me when Jack and I did a walk through when he was just a few months old.  At that time, I wasn't working at all, but looking to start part time and I needed a part time arrangement.  St. Paul only had 1 day available and at that, it was only 5 1/2 hours, but I walked in those doors looking for something that reminded me of my own fond memories of preschool and I walked out completely ecstatic that Jack would be a Snugglebug when he turned 6 months old. 

This journey has been an emotional roller coaster for me.  I remember the last day of his first year sitting in my car looking through the scrapbook his teachers put together and crying wondering if I would be able to keep him in this God sent program.  I needed to work more hours than the program could provide me in childcare and I wasn't sure my boss would go for little amount of hours I could offer.  I prayed hard.  Thankfully, when Jack was 18 months old, Alesia entered our lives and she has been our angel throughout these preschool years.  It wasn't until Jack started his 4 year old and final year, that I breathed a sigh of relief knowing he was going to complete his preschool career at St. Paul.  Now I know there are other wonderful full time preschools in our area, but I can promise you after spending 4 1/2 years at St. Paul, no others would come close to matching up in my mind.  It is my safe haven.  It's not just a place I've sent my kids to learn and have interaction with other kids or to get myself some free time, it's a necessity to allow me to help provide financially for my family.  My kids love it there and they are loved there.

Just last week I was sitting in my office at work when the phone rang and St. Paul Preschool came up on the id.  I immediately panicked when I heard the director's voice on the other end and asked what had happened.  "Nothing." she said. "I just had to tell you what I just heard.  I'm sitting in my office across from the cafeteria and I can always hear the kids' conversations.  I just heard a little voice call out from one end 'Hi Jack!' and another voice from the other end 'Hi Marshall!' and that exchange continued 3 or 4 times.  They are precious.  They really love each other and it was just the most precious thing I have heard, so I had to call and tell you."  She went onto to tell me a story about Jack that morning at graduation practice.  A few weeks ago, I received a text from Jack's 3 year old teacher with a video of the magic show that said "Guess who had to argue with Magic Nick?"  Of course, as I watched the show I heard Jack's voice above all others arguing that Magic Nick didn't get the colored handkerchiefs in the right order.  Who in this day and age does that?  Cares so much and takes so much interest in kids to call and text parents over things that most other people would find trivial.  These ladies do and that's why I absolutely cherish them and will continue to sing their praises.

I have heard great things about Donelson Elementary where Jack will attend in the fall.  In fact, my high school best friend and college roommate teaches there, so I know he will have someone looking out for him there as well.  But I have to say that Donelson has big shoes to fill.

Here's my big boy in his graduation attire.  I'll post pictures and videos of his actual graduation later. 
In closing, every night when we put Jack to bed we put his iPod Touch on Pandora on Jack Johnson's Children's station.  Last week, his Touch was dead, so instead I brought him my phone and when I turned on Pandora, this song was playing on the Taylor Swift station.  It couldn't fit my mood more perfectly now.

1 comment:

Selena said...

Oh, my goodness, Carla... what a precious song!!! I had not heard that before; I think it might be my new favorite. :)

I must say that I am tickled that our boys keep "growing" and that God is continuing to allow us to take care of them, BUT I can also relate to this song... so sweet.

Congrats to Jack! The new journey that is ahead will be great... I can tell that you and Travis are great parents, and I have no doubt that y'all will continue to guide him as he "grows up". Such a mixture of emotions, I'm sure. :)

Thanks for sharing!