I AM NOT CREATIVE. I try really hard, but I just don't have it in me. When Jack brought home the assignment that he was to bring in a baking potato dressed like a famous person, I cringed. For the letter 'P' they were going to have a Potato Pageant. I knew this a few weeks in advance, but I totally procrastinated because this isn't my strong suit. Courtney, where are you when I need you?
Of course, I googled it and apparently, these potato pageants were only new to me. A Superman potato looked fairly easy and was really easy to talk Jack into, so that's what we aimed for. So the Sunday before the Potato Pageant on Tuesday, Jack and I headed to Michael's to pick up our supplies. Crayola Washable Paint, blue and red felt, googley eyes, straight pins and glue. Oh and of course, the baking potato. Why oh why didn't I buy two potatoes and two paint sets? We had to fight Marshall for all of the supplies all night long.
We got a good start Sunday night, but I didn't account for having to let one side of the potato dry before we could flip it over and paint the other side, so most of the project had to wait for Monday.
I didn't intend on Superman standing at first, but I had these craft sticks for another little project we worked on, so I shoved them in for arms, legs and a stand in the back hidden by his cape extension and Superman was vertical.Jack did paint most of this. I would outline the areas and he would fill them in. I have to say I was pretty proud of us until we brought Super Potato in Tuesday morning to find 2 other Supermen and then more creative works of art like "Darth Tater" and Abe Lincoln. Geez.
So now for another project we conquered that night. This one needs another introduction. I am super-anal, calendar keeping, list making, OCD crazy, so it absolutely blows my mind how much I have failed my kids this semester. Now keep in mind, these are minor failures, but I have really given myself a hard time about them. First I forgot Jack's hat day a couple of months ago. We show up and all of his friends are in hats except him. I drove straight home to get his hat and he didn't seem to be too scarred from the ordeal. Fast forward to the end of March when we get the April calendar that has "Mickey Mouse Day" on it. Jack said he had to wear a Mickey Mouse shirt, so I immediately got online and ordered one for both boys. Then I see these awesome Mickey Mouse cupcakes that Courtney did for Camryn and thought to myself "I can do that!" So I bought the supplies ready to make the cupcakes on Wednesday to bring to Mickey Mouse day on Thursday, but oops! We show up at school on Tuesday and everywhere we turn there's Mickey. Travis comes to the rescue with the Mickey Mouse shirt and again, Jack isn't scarred, but I was. You see I also forgot that very day was hat day for Marshall. So Wednesday night, we make those darn cupcakes and they absolutely flop. So horrible I didn't even take pictures, but I sent them. Jack had already told everybody they were coming, so I wasn't about to fail him again. Fast forward once again to the night before the Potato Pageant and Jack was also Star of the Week and I promised him cookies. So that night I was super mom staying up super late to decorate a baking potato and make cookies "pops" for the letter 'P'. They're nothing fabulous, but they look a heck of a lot better than Mickey did, so I had to show them off.




No comments:
Post a Comment