Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween at St. Paul Preschool

Thursday was Jack's Halloween parade, trick-or-treating and party at preschool. The morning started off pretty rough to be honest. I don't know if he gets this from me or if it's just his age, but anything out of the normal routine really upsets Jack. He's going to be a Titans football player this year and his jersey is a little big. When the uniform first came in, he wore it daily, but now he tells me it's too big, fights to take off the jersey and won't wear the helmet. Silly me thought I'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone with this year's costume because it would be something he would enjoy playing in. Maybe he'll grow into it. Anyways, I had to bribe him with a sucker to even wear the jersey. Once we got to school, everyone was dressed up including the teachers and there were parents and other family members there. It was pretty chaotic and as soon as Jack stepped into his classroom and his teacher grabbed him up for a picture, the lip started quivering and he declared "I want my mommy!". The only way I could peel myself away from him was to tell him I had to go find Daddy and we would come see him after the parade. That did it. Here are a few pictures from the parade. You can see he would only hold the helmet.


He was fine throughout the program until they began to leave. Once again we saw the lip quivering and he said "I want to go see my mommy!", so he ran over to us and we calmed him down. Here he is with his daddy.

After the parade, we went with him to his classroom just as we promised. At this point, the kids go to all the different classrooms and offices trick-or-treating. I didn't take part in this last year and didn't plan to this year, but couldn't resist when he looked up at me and said "You go trick-or-treating with me, Mommy?". I was so glad I did, but had to with-stand even more tears when we returned to their classroom and we had to take the candy away. Once I got him changed out of his costume and to the gym, he was fine, but I worried about him all day. I guess 2 is still a little too young for all the commotion of Halloween.

When I picked him up from Alesia, he hadn't forgotten my promise to give his treats back to him in the car. He had a load of crafts in his backpack and seemed to thoroughly enjoy the pizza party. We're still going through the candy (notice "we"). Here's a picture of Jack and the pumpkin, bat and ghost he decorated at school.

No comments: