Saturday, October 31, 2009

Thank Heaven for Little Boys...

I have to admit (and I may have already) that when I found out I was pregnant and until I found out what we were having, part of me wanted a little girl. The women in my family are so influential to me and no times are enjoyed more than when I'm with them that I wanted this for my own daughter as well. However, since finding out that another little boy will be joining our family, I have realized that God knew exactly what I needed. First of all, I'm not a girly-girl at all. I would hardly enjoy putting bows on each morning and while I know I would have them courtesy of my girly-girl sister, I'm afraid all the cute little dresses would gather dust in the closet while my little tom-boy ran around in sweats and t-shirts like her mama. At this point, I can only hope one day when my sister starts a family of her own that she is blessed with girls and the Veazey/Lowe shopping trips can continue through her descendants.

Most of all though, I feel so blessed to have Jack in my life each and every day. He is a barrel of fun and there's not a sweeter, more sincere child on this Earth. When I'm feeling stressed or down, I just think of him and all he brings to my life and I know that is all that truly matters. Adding another boy doesn't necessarily mean adding another Jack, but I can think of no greater gift than giving Jack a brother. I picture our family at sporting events, camping, fishing and doing all sorts of "boy" things and I just know Marshall and Jack will grow to be great friends. I can hardly wait to see what this little Todd boy has in store for me and look so forward to all the fun times coming my way.
That being said...the nursery is close to being done!!! Mom and Dad arrived around dinnertime last night and I went to bed at 11. Mom stayed up to finish putting his clothes away and we added a few finishing touches this morning. It still needs some "stuff", but it already looks adorable and is definitely accommodating to a newborn as is.
Here is the lettering on the wall in the hall between the boys' rooms. It was the inspiration for this blog title.

Mom bought this sign to hang on my hospital door, but it looks so good on his bedroom door that I think that's where it will reside once we bring him home.

Here is the crib that was Jack's with Jack's play area rug, bumper and fitted sheet. Mom and I didn't want Marshall's nursery to be identical to Jack's. Of course, as Travis has often pointed out, Marshall won't care or know, but we will. Although we've used a few old staples, it looks totally different and I couldn't be more pleased!

This artwork was done by Kathy Robbins of Jack Jones Florist and Gifts in Paris. She took the quilt and went to work. It looks like it's straight out of the Pottery Barn!

The mobile is a "big top" with a seal hanging down from a ball and surrounded by balls.

Here's Jack's changing table changed up with a new lamp and wall decor. The lamp and its shade were also painted by Kathy.

My favorite piece of furniture from Jack's nursery, the glider. We spent numerous hours in this glider reading, snuggling, feeding and snoozing. I look forward to many more with Baby Marshall and I think it's just big enough to fit big brother in there with us as well.

My latest appointment was yesterday and Jack joined me. This was after taking him to his own doctor for the H1N1 vaccine and a visit to my office to pass the time before my appointment. We literally left the house at 9:30 that morning in the pouring rain and didn't return until 4 hours later, but the child was an angel. He never shed a tear for his shot and only wanted to know why she didn't put it in the nose like she did for the seasonal flumist. At the office, he was very well behaved even though he didn't perform as much as I would have liked. While at my doctor, he listened to Marshall's heartbeat and chatted it up with Dr. Cole. I couldn't have asked for better behavior, but I know that's not what everyone wants to hear about. At 35 weeks today, I am now scheduled for weekly visits starting next Friday at which time she will begin checking my cervix for dilation. Everything else looked and sounded great! I still can't believe it's this close!

3 comments:

liz said...

the prints are fabulous!!! and i love, love, LOVE all the colors and how they come together!

courtney said...

everything looks so great! can't wait to bring you the paintings. i think they will look good with the room and hall. see you next weekend!

Courtney said...

Marshall's room is looking so cute! Great job!